Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Steampunk Navajo

Last year at TeslaCon 1 I wore a Navajo Steampunk outfit, and I thought it was high time to write a post about that.
First, I should say that as far as I know I have no Navajo heritage. I made this costume because I really like the aesthetic of Navajo art, particularly their clothing. I also wanted to explore steampunk in a different direction, most of the characters/outfits I've seen have been very Euro-centric. Thinking about what a Navajo approach to steampunk would be let me be a bit more creative than I might have been otherwise.


When making this outfit my primary goal was to portray a Navajo approach to steampunk in a respectful way. This meant that I had to do my research about every component of the outfit, making sure that I knew the significance of any images or patterns I used. 

I can't find the original reference picture that I used, but this is very close to that: 

Once I had a reference from which to build my outfit I began thinking of ways to incorporate the steampunk aesthetic into my outfit. I didn't want to change the basic visuals of the outfit, I wanted people to be able to recognize the culture of my outfit first, and identify the steampunk elements only at a closer inspection. 

The first part I set about acquiring is the blanket for the blanket dress. I didn't want to alter a real Navajo blanket, so I began looking for a blanket that had the overall look I wanted but that was fine to alter. I found a plush blanket at a department store that had a Navajo-esq pattern and was also in steampunk shades of tan and brown!I then went to one of my friends who is handy with sewing, and she made it into a fantastic blanket dress.

I then began focusing on the belt for the dress. The traditional belt for a Navajo blanket dress is woven in many colors and decorated with hammered silver broaches. I wanted the belt to subtly reflect a more steampunk side of the look and I wanted to use materials that I already had on hand. I ended up using some scrap leather that was from an old leather coat to make the bulk of the belt. Then I had to make the broaches. I didn't want to have a huge amount of broaches, both to increase the ease of wearing the outfit and to conserve materials. I decided to make the silver broaches out of chainmail mandalas and decorate them with turquoise colored beads. At the same time I made another chainmail mandala that I would later make into a matching bracelet.
But just having the mandalas wasn't steampunk enough for what I wanted from the belt. I found the final touch by attaching the face of a broken alarm clock onto the center of the belt. It was exactly what the belt needed! From there I finished the belt by adding chain trim to the top and bottom and a few key ring attachments to hand items from.

Under the dress I wore a pair of black faux-leather leggings and boots. 
Now that I had the basic outfit down I began designing and making the accessories. The first thing I made was the mandala chainmail bracelet with turquoise trim.
A few years ago I was given a mini flask by a friend. I decided to incorporate the flask into the costume by covering the flask with a peyote stitch beaded design of cogs. I used another scrap of leather as backing and hung a small feathers and cogs trim from the bottom. 

At the same time I beaded a matching knife holster for a plastic toy knife I bought at a dollar store. 
Then I began working on the broach, earrings and necklace. I made the broach out of a gear and some more turquoise beads and the necklace I made of chainmail, some old beads that I've had lying around, and a large spring from the old alarm clock.

The earrings are made out of watch springs hung with chainmail and turquoise beads.
I then began focusing on my hairstyle. Traditional Navajo hairstyles involve a sort of bun wrapped in yarn at the base of the skull called a chongo. I am not the most savvy hair person, but I can manage a bun. I wanted to imitate the look of a women's chongo, replacing the yarn with silver chains. I had an old broken watch that had a pattern and color scheme that fit the overall look I was going for. I took out the watch section and replaced it with a buffalo nickle. I then put it all together and made it into a barrette. I pinned the barrette to the top of my bun.
Now my outfit was almost complete. I just felt that something was missing from the overall look, so I took another scrap of leather and some old watch parts and made a bracelet.
And that was it! I wore the outfit to two different Steampunk conventions, Teslacon 1 and Steamcon. I sometimes added a blue leather pouch to keep things in, or a flute that my uncle had gotten from a trip to a navajo reservation.
Over the course of making the outfit I learned a lot about the Navajo culture, as well as new directions for jewelry making and beading. I had a lot of fun throughout the whole process, and the outfit was incredibly wearable, sturdy, and comfortable.

10 comments:

  1. This Cherokee likes!! Did you see Behr at Steamcon, sporting his Northwest Coast steampunk?

    -Mir Plemmons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. I had a similar idea for a steampunk outfit and have been working steadily on it. Mine's Lakota Sioux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like! I might have seen Behr at Steamcon, but it's hard to say; Steamcon is so huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see what you come up with for the Lakota Sioux outfit, please link me to a picture when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the Lakota Sioux Outfit. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=282761615108997&set=a.126076337444193.34794.100001254819063&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had a sewing machine so I could try..PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How dare you. My culture is not a fashion trend to you!!! This is disgraceful on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for trying to do your research and trying not to harm anyone,but I'm afraid I still find this offensive. The flask is one thing but accessorizing with those other things are just down right wrong. Really, this outfit has significant meaning to Navajos. Everything that is worn in the outfit has a meaning. I'm sorry, but I do not approve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice 'costume'. It's a lot more thoughtful then a Pendleton blanket hoody or throw.

    ReplyDelete