Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Steampunk Pepper Gun

For quite a while I've wanted to make a Steampunk gun, but I never found anything that actually inspired me. I looked through a multitude of toy guns, but they just weren't what I wanted. I finally found the perfect thing in a thrift shop, a broken pepper mill being sold for $.50!



I especially love the grinding mill at the end of the shaker! It was the perfect body for the steampunk gun I was trying to make. I didn't want to saw into the pepper mill itself, as my wood shop skills aren't the best. I decided that it would be better to find a way to attach everything to the pepper shaker either by glue or by some sort of binding method. I found a metal hose clamp that had the look and diameter that I was looking for.

One of my friends was redoing their bathroom, so I was able to snag their old towel hooks, like this one, but in a gold/brass color. 

To securely hold the hook against the gun in a way that wouldn't slip I used a scrap of leather that I had lying around. For purely aesthetic reasons I added a strip of metallic fabric. I put it all together and had my finished product: 
The gold section at the end of the pepper shaker is a scrap from another broken shaker that I glued on, along with a metal grille so that people wouldn't be able to see into the inside of the shaker.

And that's it! My pepper gun, for whenever I need to quell the steamy masses!



No comments:

Post a Comment